Using Blueberry Muffin Mix
When I was a child, there was this sweet, mom-n-pop bakery that served the most delectable lemon poppyseed muffins! From a child’s perspective, I remember how large those muffins were within my small hand: how the sweet sugary glaze made that shiny dome as it trickled down along the sides, inviting you to take that 1st bite. A sweetened burst of lemon, making ANY day, ANY season, feel like a sunshiny summer day. NOW THIS is what dreams are made of!
Hopefully by now, you have learned that dietary restrictions, or a healthy lifestyle, need NOT restrict your taste buds from revisiting such refreshments! Perhaps the best part about these muffins is that you need not wait until summer to enjoy them! These easy to make muffins will melt in your mouth, ALL year round!
Here is what you'll need:
Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins or Loaf
½ cup milk (I use almond)
1 Tbsp oil
1 Tbsp poppy seed
2 tsp lemon zest
½ tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp lemon extract*
*You can sub. lemon essential oil for the lemon zest and lemon extract
1/2 cup powdered Lakanto Monk Fruit Sweetener
2 1/2 Tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
1. Preheat your oven to 350°
2. Grease and line your baking dish or muffin pan & set aside.
3. Whisk together milk, eggs, oil*, poppy seed, lemon zest, vanilla/almond/lemon extract, in a medium bowl (*if using butter or coconut oil, melt before adding and whisk vigorously as you incorporate).
4. Add dry blueberry muffin mix.
5. Mix until smooth and well blended.
-Pour the batter into a prepared & lined muffin pan, filling roughly ¾ full (about ¼ cup of batter each).
-Bake for 15 min., or until an inserted toothpick comes out completely clean.
*Completely cooling will help keep your cupcakes from sticking to the paper liners.
-Pour batter into a standard size greased and parchment-paper lined bread pan.
- Bake for 40 min, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
-Cool for a min. of 10-15 minutes (or completely if you want it to slice nicely).
1. In a small bowl add powdered sugar and 2 Tbsp. of lemon juice, stirring until smooth. Add additional lemon juice as needed to get a smooth and pourable consistency.
2. Place your muffins or loaf on a wire rack (place parchment paper under rack to keep from making a mess on your counter) and pour glaze over the tops. Let glaze harden, and enjoy!
For a fun twist:
-Add 1/2 tsp almond extract to batter. bake. Glaze. While glaze is still wet sprinkle with sliced & toasted almonds!
-Add 1/2 cup of Blueberries to you batter!
-For an extra WOW factor, try a crumble like our Lemon Streusel!