Comfort food- It’s just something we all need from time to time. But who says that comfort food has to be junk food? AND who says there is any reason not to indulge in foods that bring us comfort? After all, food is one of life's greatest joys, is it not?
As with everything CorEats, I say 'NO' to the not so healthy ingredients, but 'YES' to all things wholesome, flavorful, and deliciously simple! This savory recipe by Gulzat Dalton will not only have you celebrating, but it’ll give your taste buds a comforting, and oh so satisfying, hug!
2 Tbsp avocado oil
1 medium onion, diced
3 cups butternut squash or sweet potato, peeled and diced into ¼-inch cubes
3-4 cups chopped chard, kale, or spinach
1 cup diced green apple or pear, cored and diced *optional
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 lb. ground pork, beef or turkey work well too!
1 Tbsp avocado oil
1 Tbsp fresh sage, chopped or 1 tsp dried sage
1 Tbsp fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp ground fennel seeds (whole seeds can be used)
1 tsp red chili flakes
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp nutmeg
pinch of ground cloves
1. Heat 2 Tbsp of oil in a large 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat.
2. Add the onion and sauté for 3 minutes.
3. Add butternut squash, apple, salt and pepper. Continue to cook for 10 minutes, or until butternut squash is tender.
4. Meanwhile, add 1 Tbsp of oil and all sausage ingredients to a hot skillet. Brown meat over medium-high heat until cooked through and no longer pink. Combine sausage with the cooked vegetable mixture.
5. Add chard, mixing well, and cover with a lid. Cook for another 2-3 minutes until the chard wilts, but is still a bright green color.
6. Season with additional salt and pepper, if desired.
Pair this delicious recipe with our Blueberry Coffee Cake! Click here for recipe.