While we LOVE the flax egg as a vegan substitute in all of our mixes, our brownie mix is the ONE exception! In order to offer you the BEST, we have found a BETTER substitute! Making your Brownie mix vegan is seriously as easy as 1, 2, 3!
Step one: SKIP!
Skip over all those wet ingredients on your package directions (aside from that vanilla! EVERY recipe needs vanilla!) and head right on over to your cupboard for that pantry staple- a can of chickpeas.
Step two: PUREE! Puree those bad boys! This will replace the egg, oil, and water listed on your package instructions!
Step three: EASY PEASY. No worries with this step, either, as you simply add the vanilla and set your timer for 30-minutes, rather than the 25-minutes listed on your package instructions!
Yep, it really is THAT easy!
1 CorEats Brownie Mix
1 15oz can of Chickpeas, reserving liquid
1 tsp vanilla
1. Preheat your oven to 350.
2. Grease an 8x8 brownie pan. For extra easy removal, line 3 sides of the pan with a single strip of parchment paper. watch here
3. Empty Brownie mix into a medium sized bowl and set aside.
4. Drain Chickpeas, reserving 3-4 Tbsp. of excess liquid. Puree Chickpeas using a high speed blender or food processor. If chickpeas are too dry add reserved chickpea liquid 1 tbsp at a time until the texture is creamy and smooth. Add Puree to the Brownie mix and stir well.
5. Pour/spread batter into the prepared brownie pan.
6. Bake for 30 min., or until the center of the pan does not jiggle when agitated. Center will be soft, but will firm up as it cools.
7. Cool for 10-15 min… or just dig in if you prefer a sticky and gooey warm fudge brownie!
Chickpeas are our favorite BUT if you are out try using black beans, navy beans (also known as great northern beans), or cannellini beans! Texture and taste may vary slightly, but they are all great substitutes.
For those who like to mix their peanut butter and chocolate, go ahead! Add ½ cup of peanut butter (or your favorite nut butter) and ¼ cup almond milk to your brownie mix. Bake for 25-30 min, or until the center starts to firm. Center will be soft but will firm up as it cools. Enjoy!