Free of gluten, grain, dairy, and sugar
Perhaps you have learned that little life-lesson, that mind bending anomaly, that simple is better and less is MORE? Seems counterintuitive, doesn’t it?
Well, my friend, in the world of baking, that life-lesson holds true! The recipes that most often pack the biggest punch are simply, SIMPLE! THESE are the ones to remember!
When you take the ingredients versatility and simplicity, mix them together, and the outcome causes your taste buds to journey to the cookie promised land (insert ethereal music and a choir of angels singing in perfect harmony here) …. WHAT. DO. YOU. HAVE. TO. LOSE? Or to gain, for that matter- considering these ingredients are wholesome! FULL body appreciation, baby!
Are you ready to enter Cookie Utopia?
You may know them as Mexican Wedding Cookies! Perhaps they were introduced to you as Italian Wedding Cookies? Russian Tea Cakes? Butterballs? OR... maybe the name Melt-Aways is firmly implanted in your mind AND your Taste-Bud-Memory! Whatever you call these delectable, powdery puffs of heaven, ONE thing we can agree upon... These babies are certain to bring joy to ALL who feast upon them! And FEAST you will!
Snowball Cookie Recipe
2/3 c Butter, softened* (Earth Balance)
¼ c Granular Lakanto Golden
2 tsp Vanilla
2 Tbsp Water
1 Tbsp Flax, ground
2 c Almond flour
3/4 c Arrowroot
½ c Chopped nuts* (Get creative. See below*)
½ c Powdered sweetener *(Swerve, Powdered Lakanto)
- Cream butter and sugar with a mixer.
- Add dry ingredients, making sure to scrape creamed butter away from sides of bowl. Mixture will look crumbly.
- Add vanilla and water and continue to mix until well distributed and the dough starts to stick together a bit more. *Note: dough will be more crumbly than traditional cookie dough.
- Mix in nuts.
- Roll into balls by the Tbsp. (a small cookie dough scoop works nicely) and place onto a parchment lined cookie sheet. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 30 min. *Note: Chilling dough prior to baking will maintain a nice ball shape.
- Preheat oven to 325 °
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- When cookies are still slightly warm, roll cookies in powdered sweetener. This allows for the sugar to melt into the warm butter.
- For a powdery snowball look and delightful taste, roll cookies through your powdered sweetener a second time after completely cooled! *Note: rolling dough twice is optional, you may opt to let cookies cool completely and roll only once.
*Arrowroot can be replaced with 2 Tbsp coconut flour.
*Coconut, maple, erythritol, Lakanto granular & Swerve granular sugars can all be used interchangeably.
*All CorEats recipes use vegan butter like Earth Balance, but regular butter can replace vegan butter equally.
*GO Nuts. Use YOUR favorite nuts here! I like a mix of walnuts, almonds, and pecans. If you opt to use only almonds, try replacing the vanilla extract with almond extract. If you decided to go all pecan, you will end up with a cookie very similar to Pecan Sandies!
*For nut-free variation replace the almond and arrowroot with ½ c coconut flour, and the ½ c chopped nuts with toasted coconut!
*Add dark mini chocolate chips.
*Roll Dough in crushed candy canes or add peppermint before baking. You can even mix crushed candy cane pieces right into the dough!
*Don’t care for nuts? Replace chopped nuts with toasted coconut for a fun twist. This is especially good if you opt to use coconut flour!