Recipe developed by Gulzat Dalton
Hugs and quiches are on the menu, my friend! Or they should be because this recipe is not only a breeze to whip up, but this fun variation on the breakfast favorite will kick your day into one sunny-side up experience!
The surprising twist on this quiche is the foundation in which all that flavor rests- a sweet potato that could never be an agi-tater, for there could be no argument that this cracks the code on incredible… trust me!
It’s time to get your eggs and bakin- bring on breakfast, brunch, lunch, AND dinner!
3 cups tightly packed, peeled and shredded sweet potatoes (about 1 large)
½ cup diced yellow onion
1 medium zucchini, spiraled
12 ounces asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
6-8 cherry tomatoes, cut in half long ways
1 cup precooked bacon or sausage *optional
10 large, pastured eggs
¼ cup almond or coconut milk**
1 tsp dried basil
¼ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp onion powder
½ tsp sea salt
¼ tsp fresh ground pepper
3 Tbsp avocado oil or bacon fat, divided
1 Tbsp vegan butter**
**can substitute your favorite vegan or dairy
1. Preheat the oven to 350° and lightly grease a 9-inch-deep pie dish.
2. Use a box grater or food processor to grate the potatoes.
3. In a large bowl, add the shredded potatoes, onion, 2 tablespoons of avocado oil/bacon fat, and sea salt. Toss until combined.
4. Firmly press the shredded potato mixture evenly along the bottom of the prepared pie dish.
5. Bake the crust for 10-15 minutes, until set and let it cool.
6. While the crust is baking, in a large skillet over medium-high heat, add remaining tablespoon of avocado oil/bacon fat and butter and sauté asparagus for 2 minutes, add spiraled zucchini and cook for 2-3 minutes more, until veggies are softened.
7. Add crumbled bacon or sausage, remove skillet from heat and set aside.
8. In a large bowl, mix eggs, milk, basil, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and black pepper and whisk vigorously.
9. Evenly spread the veggie mixture on top of the crust. Then, gently pour the egg mixture over the top of the veggie mixture.
10. Next, add cherry tomatoes and submerge in egg mixture.
11. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes, or until the center is set. Remove from the oven and allow to sit for 5-10 minutes.