Using CorEats Pizza Mix
In a utopian world, a hot pocket tastes delicious! Hmm… Perhaps in a utopian world this product would never have its place to begin with- food for thought. But let’s face it, a pizza that fits in your hand, that lovingly encrusts all that you love about pizza toppings, is conceptually brilliant! It’s like the crust is doing what you’ve always wanted to do, but will never admit- it’s hugging your pizza.
Now take the idea of the perfect pizza crust housing and hugging all of your favorite pizza toppings, add in the handy way you can enjoy devouring it, then supersize it to extend your eating enjoyment. THIS, my friend, is the CorEats’ Reuben Stromboli. In fact, not only is this recipe beyond divine, but you can easily transform it simply by replacing the delicious inner workings of this magical masterpiece with the pizza fillings you crave!
This, my friend, is just how hot pockets dreamed they tasted! Let’s get baking!
Reuben Stromboli Ingredients
1 CorEats Pizza Mix
1 lb. shaved corned beef *
4oz cold/fresh sauerkraut, drained well (not canned)
8 slices swiss or mozzarella cheese slices (shredded will work, too)**
2 tsp. caraway seeds
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
*Wellshire makes a great uncured option.
** Vegan or dairy cheese works great! Using both Mozzarella and Swiss is super delicious, too!
***You may substitute olive oil or vegan/dairy butter
This recipe can be made ahead!
2/3 cup mayonnaise *see notes
2 tbsp minced onion
2 tbsp ketchup, Primal Kitchen
2 tbsp relish or diced dill pickle
1 tsp ACV or pickle juice
1/2 tsp sweet paprika
Black pepper & salt to taste
Dash of hot sauce * optional like Franks Red Hot
*Both dairy or Vegan varieties work great! We like primal Kitchen, Follow Your Heart, or just Mayo. For a tangy dressing use ½ cup, for a creamier flavor use ⅔ cups.
Add all of your Thousand Island dressing ingredients together, mixing well. I like to taste the dressing here and add salt and pepper to taste. It’s important to note that the flavors will intensify slightly as it sits. Cover sauce and refrigerate until ready to use.
1. Preheat your oven to 350°
2. Prepare your CorEats Almond Pizza mix per package instructions and set an edged cookie sheet aside.
3. Working on parchment paper sized to fit your cookie sheet, roll your prepared pizza dough into a 10x12 rectangular shape. On the two long sides, make 3” long cuts roughly 1-1.5“ apart. (You will have 3” uncut edges on both the top and bottom edges).
4. Spread about ½ a cup of the thousand island dressing over the center of your dough, leaving the 3” edges clean.
5. Spread half of the cheese slices over the dressing, working from one side to the other, making sure to keep the 3” edge clean of sauce and toppings.
6. Next, top with a hearty layer of your shaved corned beef, followed by your well drained sauerkraut. Sprinkle your caraway seeds evenly over the toppings, followed by the remaining cheese.
7. Working on the front uncut edge closest to you, roll the dough up and over the filling, holding it in place as you go. Next, lift the first cut portion, laying it over the center dough you just folded up, followed by the opposite side. These strips of dough will overlap each other, giving a “braided” effect. Continue this, pinching and tucking the dough as needed, working back and forth between each side until only 2 folds and the end uncut edge remain.
8. Fold the remaining center dough up and over the filling, followed by the two remaining strips of dough, overlapping them to complete the “braided” look.
9. Whisk your egg in a small dish and brush it evenly over the whole Stromboli. For a vegan/egg-free option, you may also use olive oil or vegan butter here, too!
10. Lift the parchment with your Stromboli onto your edged cookie sheet. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the filling is bubbling and the dough is lightly browned.
11. Allow your Stromboli to cool for 5-10 minutes prior to slicing and serving. If desired, serve with your remaining thousand island dressing as a dip.
Additional Flavor/ Variety Options
You have so many options for your Stromboli filling, so have fun with it! Some ideas are:
-Pepperoni, marinara, mozzarella, and ricotta cheese!
-Pulled pork, provolone, onion, and Primal Kitchen barbecue sauce!
-Meat lovers variety with your favorite meats and marinara as a sauce and/or dip!
-Ham, provolone, ricotta, onion, and garlic olive oil!
-Veggie lovers with thinly sliced or lightly sautéed vegetables and mozzarella!
Go wild and make it your way. The possibilities are truly endless!