using CorEats Chocolate Cupcake Mix
Can there really be anything better than a decadently delicious, homemade chocolate cake? I mean, cake takes the cake… right? OR maybe by now you’ve learned that with CorEats, there is always ANOTHER level of “mouthwatering” right around the corner of each new blog post!
SO, how about a GUILT-FREE, whole food, Keto & Paleo, easy-peasy, ‘all around’ (pun intended,) chocolate cake with delicious icing in EVERY bite!? Um… Can you say, “SHOW OFF!?” Once again, CorEats delivers versatility, ease, and flavor all in one lovely package. So, grab your Cupcake mix, and let’s get rolling!
1 CorEats Chocolate Cupcake Mix
For the Filling
1 8oz pkg cream cheese, softened*
1-2 C powdered sugar, divided*
6 Tbsp butter, softened*
1 tsp vanilla
***For vegan substitutions, replace each egg with a flax egg, and use your favorite non-dairy replacements. Some of my favorite brands are: Earth balance (butter), Violife (butter and cream cheese), Kite Hill (cream cheese).
Sugar substitutes: For a naturally pleasing flavor, try using maple sugar! Just place in a blender until powdered! Watching your sugar intake? Try powdered Lakanto: It's a zero glycemic substitute, made with Monk Fruit. *Linked at bottom of page.
Cake Roll Directions
1. Heat oven to 350 F.
2. Grease 10 x 15 sheet. Line pan with parchment paper for easy removal.
Use an edged cookie sheet. When laying parchment onto pan, make sure there are tabs on two sides. This will allow you to lift the cake out of the pan after baking. Make sure the un-tabbed sides lay flat. For Example, with a 10 x 15 cookie sheet, you would cut your parchment to 14+ x 15 to allow for tabs.
3. Prepare cake batter per package instructions.
4. Pour batter into the prepared baking sheet.
5. Bake for 7-10 minutes.
Since batter is spread thin it will bake fast. Keep an eye on it checking with a toothpick for readiness. Insert toothpick, when it comes out clean, cake roll is ready!
6. Let roll cool in the pan for a few minutes, or until it can be handled. It will still be very warm. *This allows for the loaf to be rolled without cracking.
7. Move along un-tabbed edges with a knife to make sure the loaf comes free from the cookie sheet. Lift the cake off of the cookie sheet by carefully lifting the tabs of parchment paper.
8. Letting the parchment paper support and guide you, start to roll gently and slowly, allowing the cake to take form.
Do not remove the parchment in this step. Roll it along with the cake!
9. Set aside until cooled to room temp.
Cream Cheese Filling
1. Beat cream cheese and butter until smooth.
2. Add sugar 1/4 cup at a time, *to taste, mixing well.
3. Add vanilla. Beat until creamy. Set aside while your cake is cooling.
*For more filling variations, check out our Basic Icing Recipe
Finishing your Roll
1. When completely cooled, carefully unroll the cake, leaving the parchment intact.
2. Spread cream cheese mixture over the cake and re-roll, pulling the parchment paper off as you go.
*Keep 1"of the cake edge unfrosted, as filling tends to fill out the space as you finish the roll. If you would like, you can clean up the edges by slicing them off when finished.
3. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least one hour.
4. If desired, sprinkle with powdered sugar or drizzling with chocolate before serving. -ENJOY!
-Try adding your favorite fruit jams (such as strawberry, raspberry or cherry) to create splashes of fruit color and flavor! This can be garnished onto your roll OR dolloped atop freshly spread filling (before rolling). For a colorful filling use your jam as a food coloring!
-Garnish with fresh fruit, nuts, or check out our Devastatingly Delicious Donut glazes. Here you can find our Chocolate Glaze/Dip or Basic Glaze!
-Chop up your favorite chocolate (Sugar-free, such as Lily’s or Jojo’s work GREAT) and sprinkle over your spread icing, right before rolling.
-Check out our Basic Icing for filling variations. You can’t go wrong with a peanut butter filling!
-Melt your favorite chocolate, adding a touch of coconut oil, to drizzle over the top!