Using CorEats ‘from scratch’ Pie Crust recipe!
CorEats Paleo/Keto pie crust recipe
click here for full recipe
2 cups almond flour
1/3 cup cold butter, chopped into cubes*
1 egg, whisked
½ tsp salt
1 cup fresh blackberries
1/4 cup coconut sugar**
1 tablespoon arrowroot***
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1-2 peaches, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons honey or pure maple syrup
2 tablespoons salted butter*
1 egg, whisked
Cinnamon, for sprinkling
Coconut sugar, for sprinkling
*Dairy free options work great!
**for zero-glycemic/Keto try Lakanto Golden. For Paleo try coconut sugar or granulated maple sugar!
*** Any starch can replace (tapioca, corn, potato)
Pie Crust Instructions
1. Mix together the almond flour and salt.
2. Add cubed butter. Use a fork or a pastry cutter to ‘cut’ in the butter until it resembles a coarse meal.
You will still see tiny chunks of butter or looks like ‘fine crumbs,’ with a few larger chunks of butter. You don’t want to overwork the dough here.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg until smooth and then stir it into the almond/butter crumble using a fork. As you stir in the whisked egg, begin forming a ball.
While you want the egg thoroughly distributed, do not over mix the dough, as you do not want the butter to start melting.
4. Once dough starts sticking and could be formed into a ball, cover it with plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
5. Line workspace with a generous piece of parchment paper.
6. Place dough onto the parchment paper and gently fashion into the shape of a rectangle.
7. Cover with a piece of plastic wrap and begin rolling out the dough to roughly 14x10. Set aside.
You may need to reform cracked and/or separating edges as you go. They will crack a little and that is ok. Simply use the top plastic wrap to aid you in forming your desired shape. As you roll out the dough, this is where the tiny chunks of butter will stand out. This is a good sign you did not overmix the dough.
1. Preheat the oven to 350° F.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the blackberries, coconut sugar (or granulated sweetener of choice), arrowroot, and vanilla.
3. Transfer the pie crust w/ parchment onto a baking sheet and arrange the blackberries over the pastry, leaving a 1-inch border.
4. Arrange the peaches on top of the blackberries.
5. In a small saucepan, melt together the honey and butter. Drizzle the mix over the peaches.
6. Fold the edges of the pastry up and over the berries by lifting the paper to position. Press and release pie crust from paper.
7. Brush the edges of the pastry with egg and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. It's OK if the edges get dark.
8. Let cool slightly. Serve with ice cream while warm. Enjoy!